Monday, June 23, 2008

Remembering them

I'd like to add by brother, Steven Shoulberg, to those we could somehow remember from camp. Steven came to Orinsekwa in 1962 and stayed through the mid-1960s, becoming a counselor and a bit of an non-urban legend. Who else could throw Allen Davis' records into the woods, go shot for shot (punches, that is) with an ex-Marine, drive Dave Baron to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy, get chased through the dining hall by Tom the cook, hold the boys waterfront motionless for hours as he considered jumping off the high diving board, convince the entire camp that he was being drafted into the army and having a gala going away party thrown in his honor and meet his future wife, Linda Weiss, to boot? 
Steven and Linda had three kids and lived in Florida. He went into hospital administration but his heart always was someplace else, perhaps in Niverville. He died in 2000, that great big wonderful heart of his finally giving out. 
I'd like to remember Steven on the hill in front of bunk 18, looking out at the camp, which for a very brief time, was his.

2 comments:

Larry F said...

Hi Warren
I recently logged onto the Orinsikwa website and your message about your brother. I thought your name was familiar and did a little research. It seems that I was your counselor at camp in 1962(Bunk 6). If you remember me it would be nice to hear from you.

Larry Franzman 7/24/08

ken mann said...

warren,
I can not believe this.
Ken Mann call me 516 477-8577